Experiment and Evaluation of Information Systems
72229 †Section 01†††
W† 3:10-5:50 PM†
Instructor: Paul Kantor
310 SCILS Building
732 932 7500 x8216 firstname.lastname@example.org
Catalog Description: Measures, models and methods for macro-evaluation of impact of information systems within their environment and for micro-evaluation of performance of system components. Experiments - their design, conduct and results
Personal Note:† Since not every student is interested in Information Systems, I make a reasonable effort to permit students interested in other application areas to develop parallel term paper topics more closely related to their own dissertation interests.† This requires somewhat more effort from the student, but yields more immediately applicable results. †See comments from recent students at http://www.scils.rutgers.edu/~kantor/t/619phd/2008/StudentComments.html
Pre- and Co-requisites
SCILS Quantitative Analysis course (604) or a second course in applied statistics, which has gone beyond simple t-tests and measures of central tendency.† A clear understanding of the meaning of confidence intervals is a plus, but is not absolutely necessary.
An advanced course in the complete design and interpretation of experimental and survey studies of information and communication systems. Topics include: non-normal distributions; confidence intervals; parameter estimation; experimental design; path analysis; multivariate analysis of variance; design of a protocol and informed consent; elicitation of the stakeholder goals and objectives; management of studies; analysis and interpretation of results; presentation to non-technical audiences. Each student will work with some shared data sets. In addition, students may chose either to work in pairs, on projects specific to this course, or may conduct a study or survey which contributes to practicuum or dissertation research (working, in that case, individually). Thus course is very strongly recommended for students planning a quantitative dissertation, and will prepare them to conduct the necessary qualitative work to design effective instruments. This course is also recommended for students who intend to supplement a qualitative dissertation with some numerical analysis of results such as content analysis, to strengthen that component of the research.
Upon successful completion of this course students will be able to compute ANOVA parameters; create phantom or simulated data; conduct factor analyses and scale development; design, analyze, interpret and report upon an experimental or survey study.
Students will do several homework assignments, and will design and conduct an experiment or survey.
DETAILED LISTING OF TOPICS/MODULES.
This course complements and extends the core courses (603,604) by showing how to bring together qualitative and quantitative methods in the ways that are used in studies of libraries, information systems, and communication systems.
The course will use two extensive sets of data for example purposes, and students will use or develop data related to their own research or studies. Throughout the course we will use SPSS, which is universally accepted in social science research.
The principal modules of the course are:
OUTLINE OF DOING A STUDY
Define objective and protocol
Develop recruitment instruments
Write the informed consent
Obtain IRB approval. Note added requirements for audio or video taping.
Weekly online "calisthenics": 40% (=4% per week; none for last 4 weeks).
Analysis of common data set: 20%
Term project: Paper: 20%; Presentation: 10% (Total=30%)
Class participation: 10%
Grade scale: A: 100-90; B: 89-80; C: 79-70; D: 69-60;